Check out our visual captions video of this episode on YouTube here.
You can listen on RadioPublic here.
In this episode of the Kinky, Nerdy, Poly podcast, M & G first discuss the history of fanfiction delving all the way back to Roman times, to its mid 1900s implementation in the form of the “fanzine”, finally bringing us to the Hugo Award winning online platform, Archive of Our Own (AO3). They discuss various purposes of fanfiction including for self and community liberation, and you know, just “getting off”. To conclude, they talk about their own experiences writing and reading fanfiction – the good, the bad, and the depressing “dead” fic.
- Not Just Lustful Literature: Self-Liberation through Fanfiction: https://rhetorikos.blog.fordham.edu/?p=1712
- The Ring of Soshorn in the Alien Brothers issue on the Internet Archive: https://archive.org/details/alien-brothers/
- AO3 won a Hugo award in 2019: https://tinyurl.com/bdhuhufx
- Disability in Fanfiction: https://tinyurl.com/4jct5v2s
- Why Write Fanfiction: https://thenovelsmithy.com/why-write-fanfiction/
- Fanfiction to Support Struggling Writers: https://tinyurl.com/mryyfjy9
- Transcendent Humanity by Solaris242: https://tinyurl.com/4e5cdjwr
- Indefensible by zombologue: https://tinyurl.com/2jkx997u
- Pokemon XY fic by jonphaedrus: https://tinyurl.com/4k9exvw4
The music in this episode is the Secret of Tiki Island by Kevin MacLeod and is licensed under Creative Commons 3.0. You can find more of Kevin MacLeod’s music at his website. Support Kinky, Nerdy, and Poly by contributing to their tip jar: https://tips.pinecast.com/jar/knppodcast
Support Kinky, Nerdy, and Poly by contributing to their tip jar: https://tips.pinecast.com/jar/knppodcast